Citizenship and Naturalization for Children

The procedures to apply for US citizenship or naturalization of minor children have changes, after recent Obama administration updates to our immigration laws.  Visitors of the US who have indicated that they are US citizens but are not will be granted immunity from prosecution regarding this.  Another change in our laws affects children of undocumented immigrants, who can now apply for a type of “blue card.”  These newer laws will allow undocumented immigrants to remain in the US and work, but they must pay taxes and contribute to the Social Security system.  Their children can remain within the country, and therefore families will be able to remain together. Chicago Immigration Protest May 1, 2006 Flickr – Photo Sharing!

138556236_e95a080235_zNew Laws About Visas, Green Cards, US Citizenship and Naturalization

Visas are required for those US visitors who wish to remain in the country to live or work.  An application for a visa can be completed online or in a local government immigration office.  The purpose of one’s stay will determine which type of visa application to use.  Allowed reasons for living or working within the US include the following:

  • Family sponsored visas for immediate relatives of US citizens to come live with their family members in the United States.
  • Application for a student visa through the US Department of Homeland Security, if one plans to attend college here.
  • Temporary workers need an employer-sponsored visa.
  • Medical treatment within the US requires a special medical-purpose visa.
  • Tourists from certain countries require a tourist visa application to be completed.  Certain countries that are a part of a visa waiver program.

Naturalization procedures have also changed for children of immigrants and for children born to illegal aliens within the US.  Requirements have been revised allowing minor children an opportunity to apply for certain types of citizenship, including citizenship through a derivation process or acquisition process.

Naturalization for minor children under the age of eighteen can be granted if a parent is a US citizen.  The process of gaining US citizenship at the time of birth through a parent is called acquisition.  Naturalized rules for adults include passing a citizenship test and filing a standard application.

Contact the immigration law offices of Atlanta attorneys Brownstein & Nguyen for any further questions or details regarding the citizenship and naturalization of a minor.

Image via Flickr